Monday, January 6, 2014

How do i work hard...when there is no work?

So...most of you know that I started a new job back in September.  I am SO thankful for it...better benefits, better pay, great coworkers and bosses.  It is pretty much better in every way.

The only problem is, I've had a CRAZY amount of down time.  Like, really crazy.  If you could see my time sheet, the bottom half would look something like this:

Down Time - no work 11/14/13          5.00
Down Time - no work 11/15/13          6.00
Down Time - no work 11/18/13          7.00
Down Time - no work 11/21/13          3.00
Down Time - no work 11/22/13          4.00

So what do I do with all of this extra time?  GREAT question.  I've been struggling to figure out how to use this time well.  You would think that since I have the internet at my fingertips I wouldn't be bored, right?
wrong.  you see, I have this chronic problem where I get bored way too easily.  It's hard for me to sit still when I have a whole day stretching out in front of me with (potentially) (most likely) very little coming my way.  I like being busy.  I like helping people.  I like making a difference and getting things done.  So, when I am sitting here for hours on end reading blog posts...that feels like a waste of time to me.  Sure, I can read worthwhile material, but there are only so Gospel Coalition articles I can read before my mind starts to wander and I want to poke my eyes out.

I think one of the most frustrating things about this situation (other than the day going by excruciatingly slowly) is that it tends to make me lazy.  You see, I sit her all day hoping for work, and then when I get some i'm like "dang it, i wanted to leave early!"  or something like that.  Ha, one of my friends suggested I title this post "reflections of a lazy person", which wouldn't have been that far off.  I do like working hard, but it's easy for me to fall into laziness when I haven't been doing anything all day.

Any ideas for me of ways I can spend this "free" time well?  I'm thinking some scripture memorization is in order...


I just sent my manager and email asking her to sit down and talk about possible projects I can take over/if I could help others on the team/expectations.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment